Garbage in, garbage out: the nitty gritty on environmental toxinsHey y'all! Have you noticed how many people are getting sick these days? My best friend's mother has colon cancer. A friend of a friend's son has brain cancer. My uncle died recently from diabetes complications, two friends and a relative have diabetes.
I have at least seven friends with fibromyalgia. I have muscular dystrophy. Every day it seems like there is someone else to put on the prayers and positive intentions list. Why?
Honestly, I think it's a combination of our culture and environment. Our bodies were just not designed to handle all the environmental toxins and stress we have introduced since the 1960's. We are poisoning ourselves inside and out.
Environmental toxins in our homesThink of household environmental toxins alone. There are:
- Unfiltered showers and baths, through which we absorb fluoride and chlorine via our skin
- Bath soaps, hand soaps, and body wash, by which we lather in toxic chemicals, petrochemicals (mineral oil), and the fat of roadkill (tallow)
- Body lotions, which contains propylene glycol, the same chemical as antifreeze
- Toothpaste, which adds more fluoride to our bodies via the inside skin of our mouths if not by swallowing it (note to my readers: the idea that Hitler used fluoride in the water to pacify Jews in concentration camps is just an urban myth or Internet meme- I do fact checking as a part of my job and strive to always deliver the truth to you... the Soviets did not do it, either)
- Aspartame in diet sodas, sugar-free foods, and children's vitamins (also a controversial chemical- The FDA states that the safety of aspartame is "clear cut," and scientific research abounds which confirm the FDA's stand. Over 100 regulatory agencies have deemed aspartame as safe for consumption, yet there are still concerns over safe levels for children)
- Aluminum, found in deodorants, cooking utensils, and beverage cans, has been positively linked to Alzheimer's disease.
- Pesticides and fertilizer for our yards and non-organic food, such as Roundup
- Roundup Ready corn, soy, and other GMOs in our food
- Preservatives and nitrates in foods, with strong links to cancer
- Automobile exhaust and other forms of air pollution
- Prescription drugs, both consumed and found in city drinking water
- Antibiotics, growth hormones, and permeate in commercial milk
How to detox from environmental toxins in our homes
- Switch to Dr. Bronner's soap or Mountain Rose herbs bath and body products for bathing and handwashing (see sidebar ad)
- Switch to something like Miracle II products for dishwashing and laundry
- Dry clothes in the sun as often as possible and eliminate dryer sheets
- Switch to cleaning with simple vinegar and baking soda
- Switch to an all organic, high raw diet- either vegan or Paleo
- Take cold water fish oil for the omega-3 essential fatty acids and Vitamin D
- Do a thorough colon cleanse (part 1) (part 2)
- Add superfoods
- Switch to either reverse osmosis or distilled water, and drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day
- Switch from body lotions to coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, and/or wheat germ oil (check out Mountain Rose Herbs on the side bar... I get my coconut oil from Tropical Traditions)
- Switch from perfumes to essential oils (Mountain Rose Herbs has some gorgeous ones)
- Exercise or play in the sun if possible every day
- Get off addicting substances like alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and sugar